Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Mary Madeline Corriher Watt

I'm not even going to address the fact that Whitney just turned ONE and my last post was her 6 month half birthday!!  :( And I can't promise that I'll turn on the heat and get caught up soon, but I will promise myself that I will stay on top of this and continue to do it for family and for the kids to have snippets of their childhood into writing! :)
 
My grandmother, Madeline Watt, affectionately know to her three grandkids as Makelina, passed away in September 2015 at a ripe young age of 94 1/2.  Her battle with Alzheimer's disease was difficult to watch but the care given to her by my parents and the caregivers at Atlantic Shores was impeccable.  I was about a month away from giving birth to Whitney, so we decided to hold off on her memorial service until the spring.  Leevi stayed home for the weekend with the big kids and Whitney and I flew to Charlotte, North Carolina at the end of April 2016.
  
Whitney did just "ok" on her first flights and thankfully we seemed to have some pretty forgiving passengers around us!  
 
 
My parents were waiting for us at the airport with Whitney's new carseat present already installed (and then we brought it home with us)
My dad's cousin Cathy and her father, Floyd Watt (my grandmother's brother-in-law) and my mom.
Great Aunt Ruth cracked us up the way she could navigate her iPad at 95 years young!!!  She was proudly showing us her grandkids and great-grandkids!
Dinner Friday night at another of my dad's cousin's house (Kim)...my grandmother was her Aunt.  
Leevi and the big kids had a super fun weekend while Whitney and I were away...movies, bowling, putt-putt, dinner out AND they cleaned!!!!  :) 

Makelina's sons (my dad and uncle) put together photo albums to pass around...I took a few pictures of the pictures to have for myself!

Wasn't she gorgeous!!!!!!??!!

Her engagement announcement in the paper.  She wrote it herself! ;)
This photo is from 1909...my Great-grandmother (Nannie/Pearl) is the 2nd from the right...7 more kids were born after this photo was taken!!!  Nannie lived until she was 99!

 My grandmother as a toddler and then as an infant with her big brother.
My grandmother is 3rd from the left...two of her brothers died in WWII (the oldest survived and the youngest was too young to be drafted)
My grandparents

Wedding photo on the left and their home they built in Florida on the right...this was the house my dad grew up in and the place we visited every summer!  Look at my grandmother in her little crop top!!!  And we think she was pregnant with my uncle in this photo and didn't know it yet!
My dad as an infant and my dad in the stroller.








I don't know why this is upside down :(
A family reunion in Charlotte...I'm in the yellow pants in the front, age 2
Same house!!! :)
The cousins on the Watt side...it was wonderful to see most of this group together again and listen to their childhood stories!!!
Saying goodbye to Uncle Mike!!!  Our flights were at similar times Sunday morning so Whitney and I hung around at his gate until he boarded! 
She was a trooper!!!  She did much better on the flight home than the flight over even when our flight was delayed causing us to miss our connection and be STUCK AT THE AIRPORT FOR FIVE HOURS!!!  OMG, but we survived!!!
She sat at a corner of the terminal and entertained people walking by! :)
We are so blessed that we were able to make the trip to NC and spend the weekend visiting with family and friends who loved my grandmother so much!

No comments: