Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Big boy beds make me cry...

At a little over 19 months, Luke started climbing out of his crib.  We tried a few different ideas that didn't work: the pack-n-play and even putting his mattress on the floor but still surrounded by his crib.  He could get out of both without a problem.  I thought for sure that the crib on the floor would work because as you can see in the picture below, his head is a few good inches below the top....not for this tiny monkey!!!!!  I was really skeptical of the freedom that a big boy bed brings and we tried for a few days of keeping him in his crib.  He got out a few times at the beginning of nap/bedtime, but over all he truly impressed me with staying put when I told him to.  The first day I had to put him back 3 times, and then only once the 2nd day and now not at all.  BUT he was still climbing out of his crib when he woke up in the morning or from his nap and I knew that it wasn't safe even with as skillful as he is! :)  SO, we went for it!!!!  Kai was my assistant and we had a good cry together! :)  AND HE STAYS...I really don't believe it!  He loves his bed and rarely objects to sleeptime!  We still keep a baby gate at his door when he's asleep because when he wakes at the crack of dawn, he wanders out...he woke Hailey up one morning at 5:30!!!  Grrrr!!!!  Kai was the one that thought of putting a baby gate at his door (smart girl!!)...I had just been closing the gate at the stairs at night.  If the big boy bed became a hassle and he wasn't staying put, my last resort option was to put him in a sleepsack so he couldn't hike his leg up!!!  Poor baby...thankfully, we didn't have to do that!  :)   
I went in to check on him one time and found him snuggling his Daddy doll!!!  I actually find him like this often...he loves his Daddy!!!!!
 The videos of him climbing out....first with the crib at it's lowest setting and then on the floor! 
And since I haven't done a post on just Luke lately, I'll add a bit of what he's been up to!  He isn't talking a ton but the words and sentences are definitely starting to come...he says all of the family member names, many animals sounds, he sings the 'clean up' song, and he's a big tattler :)  His famous line is "Hailey/Kailee did that!!!!" when one of the girls have bugged him somehow (messed up his hair, poked his belly).  It's too funny and really hard to keep a straight face!  And he's the absolute cleanest kid I've ever known!!!!  He cleans up his spills, he cleans up his toys when he's finished playing WITHOUT BEING TOLD, and he's beyond observant about where things go and where things are throughout the house.  He's definitely his father's son!!!!!  He "uh-oh"s me all day long when something isn't 'right' in the house! :)     
 
A walk and a snack with Leila...
He made himself a bowl of cereal one day...
 He's an amazing vacuum assistant and it only takes me twice as long to clean the floors! :)
He's still not the greatest eater, but occasionally he'll surprise me and be willing and ready for food!
'Gymnastics' with the sissys
The little man is up between 5:30-6 each day...groan!!!!  It's 50/50 as to whether or not he's grumpy from getting up so early!  I don't mind getting up that early if he'll let me get my morning chores done...get dressed, unload the dishwasher, pack Hailey's lunch...otherwise it's not a good start to my day! But how can this little face not put you in a good mood to start your day!?!
He's really really into the copy-cat stage and he'll definitely go along with whatever game the girls are playing...he's playing Hide and Seek here from Hailey (of course this is the exact spot that she had just hidden in!) 
 And some snippet fun!!! 
And I'm not sure if I ever uploaded these videos of Kai and Luke...

No comments: