Friday, December 18, 2015

Luke's million dollar smile

We were having a normal Saturday afternoon with Leevi finishing up the yard work for the fall and the kids playing out back and in the woods behind the house.  The girls were working on building a fort with Riley and Luke was hopping back and forth between them and Leevi.  Whitney and I were hanging out in the house when Riley comes in and tells me that Luke fell and his lip is bleeding.  We've dealt with that 100 times, so I grabbed a washcloth and ice pack somewhat nonchalantly when Leevi zoomed past me with Luke heading to the sink, ugh!  



At first we thought he bit his lip when he fell and were debating if we needed to take him to the ER.  He finally calmed down and let us put ice on it and fell asleep.  Leevi was googling "stitches on lip" when I noticed his teeth and, oh my, my heart sank.  Apparently it was a rock that he landed on and his hands were carrying sticks for the fort so he didn't even catch himself. 
We called our dentist and left a message and he called back almost immediately (impressive!)  He said it'd be fine to wait until Monday to be seen unless he was absolutely miserable on Sunday and not eating or drinking.  I was a mess.  I totally blame the post-pregnancy hormones (Whitney was 10 days old) but I couldn't stop crying!  I felt so bad for him and even though a tooth and a smile is cosmetic, I was just a mess over the fact that we thought for sure he'd loose his front tooth in addition to potentially the one next to it and one on the bottom.  And I can't leave out that we were 30 minutes away from taking family photos, boo!!!


The rest of that first day he didn't eat or drink (except for a small sip of water before bed) and he would only drool and not swallow his spit.  We even bribed him with a Hulk popsicle.  I was worried that he was going to get dehydrated.  I had prepared myself for a long night and went to bed shortly after he did just in case he and Whitney tag teamed us all night, but remarkably he didn't even come into our room and slept the entire night.  Once the blood was washed away the next morning, it looked a little better and he surprisingly started eating and drinking by the afternoon. 
Leevi took him to the dentist on Monday morning and they squeezed him in right before they opened.  In hindsight, it was great that we waiting a day and a half because he opened his mouth right up for the dentist and let them do x-rays where as there's no way that would have happened on Saturday without a fight.  I had gone to Walmart on Sunday and pre-bought a present for Leevi to give to him right after the dentist in case he had to bribe him, lol!
And, praise the Lord, there wasn't ANY root damage!!!!!!!!!!!  There's no explanation except for the power of prayer!  His bottom teeth had shifted in and down and the top two were cracked and bloody, but all was fine!  The dentist gave us referrals for some pediatric dentists in Springfield if we wanted to cap the tooth, but he didn't recommend it because it would come out-of-pocket and the next time he fell or bumped that tooth, the cap would most likely come off.  He'll go back to the dentist in March for his regular 6 month cleaning, so we'll see if maybe he can just file it down then.  The bottom teeth have already shifted back into place from pressure from his tongue and the top ones aren't tender anymore. 
And here's that sweet boy with a beautiful smile (and a chipped tooth!)  I am so grateful for this little man and that his only injury was cosmetic.  I can't imagine the pain that parents go through with burns, car accidents, diseases, etc.  We truly are blessed with our four precious, healthy gifts from God!!!

No comments: