Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Kai's First Day of Preschool

Kai started her first day of Preschool on her birthday!!!! She'll go everyday from 9-12. This is the same Preschool on post that Hailey went to last year but since the numbers in our community are so small they've combined the Part Day kids with the Full Day kids and only offered a 5 day option! Her teachers are Ms. Kitty (whom Kai keeps calling Ms. Cat!!!) and Mr. H and they have about 15 kids total in their class. She was very excited to start and I thought she would feel pretty comfortable since she knew the facility and a few of the kids in her class....but.....apparently she can "talk the talk but not walk the walk"! She didn't want me to leave!!! I didn't mind staying because she wasn't clingy and she did what was asked of her but she just wanted me there. I stayed for about an hour and a half during their "educational" portion of the morning and then said goodbye when they went to play in centers before going outside. She said goodbye without objection, but I guess lost it about 3 minutes after I walked out the door!!!! She was crying when I picked her up an hour and a half later and had been doing so on and off since I left! Boo!!! :( The most horrible story came later that afternoon from Hailey: As Hailey's class was walking to recess, she passed Kailee's class playing outside (the elementary school and preschool are right next to each other). My crazy mom mind drifted to a Concentration Camp scenerio where two sisters are separated and crying for each other!!! I asked Hailey if she went to the fence to try and console Kailee (who was hysterical!) but she said that the rule is if she got out of line she'd have to go to the end!! Tragic! Hailey's teacher did try to say something to Kailee but it didn't help! And then to make matters worse, Hailey got upset because Kailee was so upset!

It has to get better, right??!!! Kai is actually home sick today (on the 2nd day of school!) but I'm still hoping by the weeks end she'll be used to going and enjoy it!!!!
The birthday girl on her FIRST day of school!!!

Hailey was a BIG help getting Kai ready for her first day!!!

Walking down the hall with our neighbor, Cameron.  These two are the "babies" of the class and just made the cut-off.  Cam turned 3 the day after Kai. 

Finding her name


Sitting at her cubby




Half of the classroom...I'm sure she'd spend the entire 3 hrs in the "House area" if she could!


Writing in her journal (and a self-portrait)

No comments: