Tuesday, September 18, 2012

FIRST day of FIRST grade

We are already into our 4th week of school and I am just getting around to posting this!  I've given up on ever catching up and have completely stopping using the term...I'll never be caught up on the blog, the laundry, the house chores BUT I am loving the kid time and am appreciating the special moments I get with them!  Leevi has been working long hours and I appreciate the moments I get with him too, so any chore that hasn't been done after 5ish, just gets added to the pile the next day!  We've have had to shuffle our evening routines a bit when Leevi works late because the girls refuse to eat dinner without him (I love that!).   We'll do baths (and sometimes even books!) and then eat when Leevi gets home (thankfully, they are past the messy dinner stage and we can sneak that bath in ahead of time!) 
 
Hailey is loving 1st grade and her teacher seems great....she does a lot of songs, signing (Hailey calls it hand language) and has a great motivational behavioral system.  She's pregnant with her first baby, so I'm not sure of her long-term plans, but I hope whoever replaces her is just as wonderful and sticks with the routines that she's set with the class.  I was worried about Hailey being overwhelmed coming from our tiny Mannheim community to a school with almost 1,000 kids in grade K-5.  There are T-E-N first grade classes!!!!!!!!!!!  She has 17 kids in her class and has talked about a few of the little girls.  So many of the kids live off post here, so it's hard for me to get a feel of the kids in her class without seeing their parents at drop-off and pick-up everyday.  So far her best buddy is a boy named Luke who we met the week before school started who are friends of a friend from Mannheim.  Hailey and Luke ended up being in the same class and since they both were new to the school they seemed to migrate to each other and play together at recess.  We were too late to get the girls registered for any sports/dance this season and I was hoping they'd meet a few friends that way but Hailey's after school clubs should be starting soon.  Both girls are doing a soccer clinic once a week and Awanas on Sundays, so maybe they'll start meeting some more friends there.  

The big FIRST GRADER!!!


Trying to sneak Luke to school!  He'd make a great show and tell!!

I think Kailee enjoys her "alone" time playing by herself...she seriously would be a great only child and can play Barbies, Princesses, and make crafts for hours.  I'm still trying to get into a better "schoolwork" routine but something always seems to pop up.  We do go to storytime at the library once or twice a week and her soccer clinic is during the school day. 
And I need to add (BY CHOICE) she lives in just her underwear!  She strips down the second she walks in the door and even sleeps in only underwear! 
Her schoolwork on Hailey's first day was a Welcome Home sign (which she thought to make!) and a family picture.
A few days before school started I bought chocolate hippos at the commissary for a celebratory after school snack on the first day.  They were both super excited!  :) 
Luke's naptime is still pretty crazy because he's always running around on some errand or big sister function!  I tried to let him get at least one good nap in his crib and will schedule our errands/walk etc around that!  In the pic below I had laid him down to get my shoes on and the stroller ready to pick Hailey up from school and he grabbed that pink blanket and couldn't stay awake any longer!


No comments: