Saturday, October 31, 2009

Furlough Friday Finds!

I'm not sure if the absurdity of the Hawaii school system has made the news on the mainland, but we have no money to pay our teachers, so the genius plan is to cut 17 school days from this school year AND next school year. Not having the school open and not have to pay the employees on those days does save a ton of money, BUT I guess the education of our future leaders doesn't hold much water! Reports that I've read say that Hawaii ranks #47 in terms of states where you'd want your child to go to school! WOW!!!! Insane! I remember the shock I had coming from teaching in Virginia Beach to teaching out here...same grade, same subject (8th gr. math), but TOTALLY different worlds!!!

So, since the 6 parents of the 3 babies that I watch during the school year are teachers, then I also have 17 Furlough Fridays this year. I feel horrible for the sacrifice of their pay, but I actually don't mind having the 3 day weekend. Our weekends have been so busy recently and it's so hard to run any errands during the work week. I like having the extra day...a day to relax, a day to run errands, and a day to do housework.
Today the girls and I headed out this morning to Waikele to hit up Old Navy, the outlets, and Kmart. It was such a success. I found dresses for the girls for Leevi's homecoming AND their Christmas dresses AND the unexpected steal of $2 Halloween costumes for next year! Most likely we will not be in Hawaii and probably some place that actual has a chilly fall. The costumes were originally $22.50 EACH and they just happen to have matching butterfly costumes in the girls' correct sizes for next year. Even if we end up in a warmer weather place I won't feel too bad about "wasting" $4!

No comments: