Monday, July 13, 2009

God said to forget the laundry

You are probably perplexed by my interesting title choice and I don't intend to sound blasphemous by any means...I'm serious. I got an email yesterday from my friend, Lisa, inviting the girls and I over to their community pool for a swim on Sunday. My initial thought was "no way"...we had just spent the last week at KoOlina with friends who were in town and I've been neglecting every chore since we got home from our trip. Before I had a chance to write back to tell Lisa, "thanks, but no thanks" I thought to myself "who cares, the laundry will still be there tomorrow. No one is here to look at it but me!" And Lisa works during the week and we hadn't seen her in a while. So I said, "screw the piles of clean laundry in my room yet to be folded, the piles of folded laundry that isn't put away, the pile of dresses and shirts that need to be hung, and the laundry still in the dryer" , and now the laundry in the machine as I write this! And we went to the pool! Didn't take a single picture, but had a blast and later that day all I could think of was what would have happened if I had stayed home to fold laundry and be cooped up on such a beautiful day...read below an email Lisa sent out to our Hawaii friends about what happened at the pool.

Hi girls,
Hope everyone that attended has recovered from the Sampson/Weida wedding and hope everyone is having a great week.

I wanted to share something that happened today...Claud, I hope you don't get mad that I am sharing this but things like this often go unnoticed and it was pretty incredible what happened today.


Claud and the girls came over to our pool today to hang out with Rich and I (well Rich's good looking bald head can only stand the sun for so long so he didn't last for very long) so Claud and I were sitting on a blanket with Kailee and Hailey was swimming.


All of a sudden Claud noticed a little boy in the water who was underwater-all you could see were his hands flapping in the water. He either fell or jumped off the ledge and couldn't swim and didn't have floaties on. His mom was in the water but wasn't paying attention and there was an inflatable boat between the mom and the boy. Claud said, "That boy is drowning" and before I knew it Claud had jumped in and swam to the boy and grabbed him out of the water. Watching Claud swim to get him was scary as the boy's head continued to stay under the water but she pulled him out of the water and was able to give him to his mom. Luckily the little boy was ok, he was definitely shaken up and coughing a lot, but thank goodness that Claudia has great mom eyes and saw him and was able to get to him before it was too late.


I strongly believe that our United States service men and women are heroes and am thankful every day for the sacrifices that they are making for us, but tonight I am also appreciative of Claudia and truly believe that she was a hero today. She prevented what could have been a very scary situation and I am sure that the little boy's mother gave him an extra hug tonight.


Claud almost didn't come over today because her laundry was piling up but I am sure glad she did.


Just thought I'd share...thanks Claudia!


Love

Lisa

It was pretty crazy...
I keep picturing his helpless splash...he was putting up such a fight, but there was nothing he could do about it. One can only hope that someone else would have seen the little boy in time, but I guess we'll never know. So tonight, my laundry is still sitting here...and probably will until tomorrow. No more excuses! :)

No comments: